Frequently Asked Questions
What you always wanted to know..
1. Do you use potassium sorbate, gelatin, gluten, aspartame or preservatives in your yogurt?
*No.We do not use potassium sorbate, gelatin, gluten, preservatives, fillers or artificial sweeteners in our yogurt. Our milks and yogurts use only 100% natural ingredients.
2. Do your yogurts contain active bacteria cultures like Lactobacillus Acidophilus and Bifidobacteria?
* All of our cultured products (including yogurt, soyogurt and sour cream) contain a minimum combination of two live and active cultures. Our organic and conventional yogurts contain 5 bacteria cultures including the probiotics Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidus, and casei.
3. What is Balkan Style?
* Balkan style describes a production process whereby the cultured product is set in individual cups rather than in a single large vat. This type of processing adds to the unique flavour and smooth texture of the product. Balkan yogurt originated in Europe, with only 100% natural ingredients. Mother Nature would approve.
4. Why does Olympic Dairy not use plastic lids on its smaller 100/175g sized containers?
* We have found that as the majority of people do not reuse these cups and often do not even recycle the containers, they effectively end up as garbage in the landfill. Therefore, by opting to use only a thin foil lid atop these containers, we can reduce the amount of waste created while keeping our containers 100% recyclable for those who choose to do so.
5. What is lactose intolerance?
* Lactose intolerance is the inability of the body to properly digest lactose. It is caused by the body not producing enough of an enzyme called lactase. Lactase is produced in the walls of the intestine and breaks down lactose into digestible sugars. Contrary to popular opinion, lactose intolerance is not a food allergy.
6. If I am lactose intolerant, can I eat yogurt?
* Many people with lactose intolerance are able to eat yogurt without feeling any adverse side effects such as bloating, gas, stomach cramps and in some cases diarrhea. This may be due to the enzymes found in the active bacteria cultures that help to break down the lactose.
7. Does Olympic "Soyogurt" support the growth of "healthy bacteria" like dairy yogurt does?
* Yes. Because we add live and active cultures to our "soyogurt", your gastrointestinal system benefits in the same way as with dairy yogurt cultures. Plus, we use only 100% certified, non-GMO, organic soybeans in our soy yogurt.
8. What are GMO's?
* Genetically Modified Organisms are described as; "made with techniques that alter the molecular or cell biology of an organism by means that are not possible under natural conditions or processes." For more information, visit National Organic Standards Board
9. Are your soybeans GMO free?
* Yes we use certified organic GMO free soybeans from our Canadian supplier.
10. Where can I find Olympic Dairy's products?
* You can find a range of our yogurts, sour cream and organic milk at most of the major retail stores and many independent natural and health food stores throughout Western, Eastern and Atlantic Canada. For products that you cannot locate in your local store, please contact the Dairy/Store Manager with your request, or call our consumer service at 1-877-651-6389 for a location near you.
11. Are Olympic's Organic Yogurts "certified organic"?
* Yes. All of our Organic products are certified by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency via the Fraser Valley Organic Producers Association (FVOPA), under the Certified Organic Association of BC (COABC). 100% natural!
12. Are all Olympic products pasteurized and homogenized?
* Yes, all of our products including organic are both pasteurized and homogenized. Up to 5 active cultures are added after these processes are complete to ensure that they remain LIVE, throughout the lifecycle of the product.
13. Are all Olympic Yogurts sweetened with fruit juice?
* No. Staying true to our roots, we still manufacture our Original Yogurt flavours using our traditional recipe with sugar cane as a sweetener. In addition, our original organic and no fat organic yogurt families are sweetened with 100% Organic Cane Sugar. None of our plain yogurts have any sweeteners added, just milk ingredients and live bacteria cultures.
14. How much probiotic culture is included in your yogurt?
* We use a unique blend of 3 probiotic cultures in our yogurts. In fact, each 100g portion contains more than 1 billion active and live PROBIOTIC bacteria.
15. When I go back to my yogurt in the refrigerator, I notice a liquid on the top of the yogurt. What is it?
* The liquid is whey, and it is a natural liquid produced when the yogurt is exposed to air. It results from the oxidation of the yogurt. You can mix it back into your yogurt as it is good for you, or you can drain it off.
Have a question we didn't answer here? Feel free to contact us with your question(s).